Differences Between NMOSD and MS
A blood test for AQP4-IgG can confirm that you have NMOSD. If antibodies against aquaporin-4 (AQP4) are found in your blood, it will confirm you have NMOSD and not MS. AQP4 antibodies are present in up to 80% of people with NMOSD, so testing for this antibody is essential to receiving a diagnosis.
While NMOSD and MS can impact the body in similar ways, there are several factors that differentiate the diseases:
- A single attack can cause disability
- Attacks are usually more severe and can result in permanent disability
- AQP4 antibody positive in a blood test
- Several individual attacks typically cause disability over time
- Attacks are typically less severe and can result in better recovery
- AQP4 antibody negative in a blood test
Hear the Unstoppable Stories
of Those Living With NMOSD and Their Care Partners
Learn from the inspiring stories of real people who live with NMOSD, like Christine, and their care partners.